Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Two half skills is the same as one real skill, right?

Today I learned to do two semi-skills, so I think that should count!

I learned how to ask for a letter of recommendation, and how to turn the captions off on my T.V. using the remote control.

For some people, the T.V. thing may not be so special, but we have not had a working remote control for our main T.V. in... over 3 years.

About a week ago, we had to have the cable guy come out to replace our box because it was doing crazy things and I was tired of paying for cable that I wasn't watching. While he was out, he did something that I never imagined possible... he programed our remote control.

For the first time, we were able to turn the T.V. off without getting up! We can change the volume, the channel-- even switch over to a game system-- all from the comfort of our couch!

Again, this may be old hat for some people, but it completely amazes me. Sometimes I will switch channels, or go to picture-in-picture just because I can. Note, I am not actually watching more T.V., I am just watching it differently.

The letter of recommendation thing is something I have never been able to do before. I could never walk up to my boss and ask them for anything, much less permission to go to a different department. Today, however, I walked up to my Lead and said "Hey Lead, do you think I could get a letter of recommendation to move to -insert department here- ?". He looked at me for a second and said that he would be thrilled to do so! He offered to set up a Shadow session so that I could sit with that department and really learn what they do.

I was completely in shock! I have moved departments, but my old Lead just came up to me and told me that he put in a recommendation, I didn't actually have to ask. I overcame a fear that I have had for years with one single sentence.

These may not seem like huge things to a lot of people, but they mean a lot to me.

I might also add that I work in a Call Center for one of the best companies in the universe. No department there would be a poor choice, but I really want to learn everything that I can while I have the chance!

So, that's really it for today! Have an awesome night!

No comments: