Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Double the pleasure, double the fun

I missed updating yesterday in part because I was dealing with the fact that one of my old friends died.

He was a giving friend and always had a story to tell. I have not talked to him in a while, but I thought about him often.

My skill for yesterday was managing to do three jobs simultaneously since there wasn't anyone else at work that is qualified to do them. It was a little difficult, but I think I did pretty well.

As for today, I finally mastered the art of driving across Las Vegas without fear. This may seem pretty simple to those who have not driven in Las Vegas, or those who do not fear tragic accidents... but to me this is major considering I have put my life at risk nearly every day for the last 9 months.

I was almost squished to death by an 18 wheeler that did not allow space between us when the string of traffic in front of me came to a sudden stop. Fortunately, the cars moved just in time for the truck to come to stop on the exact spot where my drivers seat would have been.

More recently, an Avis bus tried to switch lanes through me in a construction zone. I was so close to the concrete barrier that my mirror was getting scratched (The bus was touching the passenger mirror) when one of the passengers yelled at the driver.

Between people who drive entirely too fast, those that drive way too slow, and the ones that think everyone is psychic so they don't need to use their turn signals, it's a wonder that I'm alive.

I've noticed that I've been getting more used to the traffic lately, but I had the first day where I was nearly smashed by someone that misjudged distance and I didn't even freak out. I barely reacted except to speed up a little bit.

I have shared my traffic stories with others, and none of them have had the amazing luck that I seem to spew. They have rare occasions where they are almost in an accident, but for me it happens daily. Perhaps it's just a part of the melancholy mood I've been in, but I like to think that I am growing as a person and becoming less afraid of the world that I so often find myself forced into.

Tomorrow I'll try to have a real skill for you. Good night!

No comments: