Friday, January 16, 2009

the economy sucks, and you can too!

Our Roommate lost his job yesterday. For him, this means money stress, lots of planning and some hard decisions on the way. For us, this means money stress and the possibility of losing our roommate.

I feel so guilty because, basically, if he doesn't have a job by the time he was taking his scheduled Birthday trip home, that trip will become permanent. I feel bad that we can't carry him a little further, but we exhausted our resources the first time around.

I feel like we failed him. Like we weren't able to do enough to help-- we weren't as understanding as we needed to be.

This also means that I will have to work after the baby comes. We had hoped that I would get to stay home since daycare is scary and expensive (a 1 year old just drowned at daycare out here... yikes!) and I just didn't want to use that as an option. Now, I don't see another way.

Even if Our Roommate is able to find another job and contribute financially on a regular basis, I will have to keep working because you never know when he will come home and say that he doesn't have a job, or that he's tired of living with us and will be going elsewhere.

I really had pictured that we would all be together for the next few years. We even decided on what the baby would call him. "Skippy". (Thanks, Hey You!)

I don''t want him to leave. I want our family to work and grow together. I hope he can stay... but if he cant, we have to let him go. We may not be the best family, but we're all we've got out here.

No comments: