Monday, November 15, 2010

I can haz non-toxic bags?

It seems like China is always in the news for some recall or or lead filled toy of doom.  From toothpaste, to baby formula, to bibs, toys, dog food, furniture, drywall, shoes, clothes, and now even our reusable grocery bags, it becomes hard for me to ignore the health threats that keep working their way into our homes.

I may be highly opinionated, but I do my best to keep my mouth shut when it comes to international relations. Mostly because I don't want my blog popping up on some watch list, keeping me from boarding an airplane or crossing state lines, but also because some people that read this may not personally know me or understand the humor that I try to impart.

With that being said, I'm about to be as serious as I have ever been.

Buy local. Buy handmade. Stop buying goods that are made in China.

"But I can get Chinese goods for a fraction of the cost!"

That's because they are so full of poison that even China won't use them.

Now, if it were just one or two things every now and then, I'm sure we could all look past it and chock it up to accidental contamination. Everyone is allowed a mistake or two and I don't think one instance of lead in baby spoons or one case of contaminated paint could really be held against the single biggest exporter of rubber bands shaped like sea creatures.

This is bigger than that.

Bigger than Antione Dodson.

Bigger than... well... China.

This is about self preservation.

Now, if consumers band together we can convince manufacturers to enstill more strict regulations and testing, bring jobs back to the US, and keep prices reasonable.

They won't listen to calls, letters, or even protests. The only language they speak is money. Money that a lot of us don't have right now. The plus side of the recession is that we are more choosy about where we spend our money.... the downside? Chinese goods are cheap.

I've already been avoiding Chinese made goods as much as possible and I urge others to do the same. I know we can't completely avoid them (unless you're the type that makes everything yourself. EVERYTHING.) but even cutting back a little may help make an impact.

No comments: