Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Year!

So far this year, I have taken a lovely nap with my daughter, watched a few movies (most recently, Elmo in Grouchland, which I had never seen. Surprisingly, I liked it. So did Alyssa.) and talked to my parents for a bit.

We discussed, among other things, how we want to spell the shortened version of Alyssa. So far, no one seems to agree on the spelling. I've been using Allie, my husband was doing Alley, my mom uses Aly, and everyone else can't even spell Alyssa much less something shorter. I think we'll go with Ally... then again, that's already a word. Maybe I'll just call her Alice.

Aside from that, I came up with some resolutions. Normally, I don't put a lot of thought into them because I figure it will never happen anyway, but this year I really want to put some effort into it. Mostly because I'm starting to notice that I'm getting older and I feel like I should have done something more with my life. Anyway, here goes!

1. Spend more time outside.

Currently, I'm nervous about taking Ally outside since there's so much smog and it gets really windy and people here are crazy. When we move, I want to get bikes so that we can go riding on the weekends. I want to invest in some good camping equipment so that we can instill an appreciation for the outdoors, and hopefully show our daughter that we need to preserve nature.

Also, it's fun.

2. I want to read at least one story per day to Ally.

This seems pretty easy, but right now she has the attention span of a turnip and the energy of a hummingbird, so it's a lot harder than it sounds.

3. I need to curb my spending.

I'm not sure if we've discussed this before, but I have ADD and one of the less fun symptoms is compulsive shopping. In the past it wasn't much of an issue because my job always covered the rest of our expenses and we still had enough left over to shop every now and then. Thanks to my wonderful ex-job, we have been able to fully pay off the last remaining student loan and put enough cash into savings that we can live comfortably without me having to work. As long as we stick to the budget.

4. I want to start making gifts rather than buying them.

I think this might help me curb my spending a bit. When I go shopping I see a lot of awesome things that just scream someones name at me. So I buy it for them. I love giving gifts. I also love making things. I think handmade gifts are more special than store bought ones, but I never really had the time to put into really making something awesome for someone. I hope that I will be able to now that I have an awesome little helper.


Isn't she adorable?

By the way, she got her two front teeth for Christmas. How awesome is that?

5. Stay on top of the chores.

We have a habit of letting things get a little piled up before we declutter/do laundry/clean out the fridge. It's so true that if you just spend a little bit of time each day, you can keep the chaos to a minimum and still have a happy, functioning household. However, life gets in the way. My biggest goal of the year is to get organized and stay organized. If I just take an hour each day to make sure everything gets put in it's place, I can keep the housework caught up and we will all be able to stretch out and have some breathing room. This is going to be the hardest thing on the list, so don't you dare wag your finger if you stop by and the clothes aren't put away and I have to clean off the couch for you to sit down.

If you want to see me, you're welcome to drop by any time. If you want to see my house, please call to make an appointment at least three weeks in advance.

No comments: