Sunday, January 24, 2010

Just another day

I have moved many, many times in my life but this is the first time I'm trying to get ready to move with an infant. It's a whole different ballgame. Packing has been a bit of a challenge since she has my near-constant attention so it's a really good thing I left my job so early. We were supposed to have been moved already but my husband's squadron keeps pushing back his orders.

With a military move, there are two ways you can do thing. Either they will hire a company to come and pack up all of your possessions, then move you to your new location or they will pay you to move yourself. They pay 95% of what it would cost them to have someone else move you.

So far, we have had the Air Force move us since we haven't had the time/energy/interest to do everything ourselves but this time we are going to take the money.

Some of our friends have already moved to the new location and with their numbers we estimate that we can make about 5-7 thousand dollars by doing it ourselves. Woohoo!

Other than actually doing all of the manual labor (okay, it isn't that bad. I've done it many times before. but it's still a pain!) the only downside is that we don't know where we will be living. We are trying to get base housing because it will simplify a lot of things but there are also a lot of drawbacks. We found a house that is well within our price range (the mortgage would be about $200 a month and since it uses an evaporative cooler rather than refrigerated air, the electricity costs would be fairly low.)

As much as I would love to own a house and be able to do everything I want, if there are openings within a reasonable length of time, we will probably live on base.

For the past 6 months (since they first told us we were moving. Thanks guys.) we have been living in a partially packed apartment. It's starting to drive me a little crazy so I can't wait for us to get to the new town and get settled in.

Oh! Look what Ally can do!







She did this all on her own without any help from me. Happy 7 months, Ally!

No comments: