Monday, January 11, 2010

Goodbye, insecurities

Hello, total pre-life crisis.

Okay, so I'm a fairly crafty person. I have sold a handful of things here and there for side cash.

I'm about to take this to the next level.

To fund my stay-at-homeness, I'm becoming a crafter-for-sale.

It won't happen in the next few days, or maybe even months due to the move, but before the year is out you will see pictures of my completed projects and you will hear all about my mistakes.

I'm nervous. I know my work is good enough to sell, but how do you even begin to price handmade goods during a recession?

I'm going to start out working through the crafting supplies I have on hand, and shipping will be charged separately from the item... that way I don't feel like I'm overcharging too terribly much.

I know that my time is technically worth more, but I'll be making things (which I love) and then getting rid of them (which my husband loves) and putting back some money for Alyssa's future (which she will love when she's old enough to appreciate it.)

If I don't sell anything, I can always say that I tried. With any luck (and a lot of hot glue) I'll be able to make a little bit of money.

What spurred this? I saw a poor-quality, not that interesting wreath sell for nearly $75. Apparently, wreaths are expensive! I make good wreaths. I've had people try to buy the wreaths off of my door.

If I can even make $10 over cost, I'll be very happy.

Plus, I can knit, sew, paint... I can do all sorts of things with paper, and I know what moms are looking for when it comes to kid friendly items.

Nevermind that half finished quilt, I've got more important things to do now!

I'd better start small.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesomesauce. I've been carrying around that bag you made me a lot lately, and I totally have faith in your crafticality. (So much so that I had to make up a word, even!) <3

7daytrial said...

I totally forgot about that bag! I'm glad that you've been using it. The doctor put me back on Adderall so hopefully I will be able to focus long enough to finish a project :D