Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Confessions that have nothing to do with new skills.

I want to be a Super Hero.

Not the typical spandex wearing, bullet deflecting, masked hero with a tragic past or the Average Joe Hero that saves 5 billion orphans from a burning building, stopping only long enough to help an old woman cross the street... I want to be more a clumsy, dorky, "good villian" sort.

There aren't many causes I really want to fight for, and I don't really want "crime fighting" to be my thing... I think I mostly want to save people from themselves.

I want to help others realize the truths that have been glazed over in favor of a bright colored package loaded with buzzwords. Rather than showing people how good the world can be, I want them to see how bad it could become if we don't open our eyes and use our voices to stop shiny, charismatic people from doing horrible things.

--Warning: Personal Views Ahead. If you hate the earth and want to see it die in a fiery ball of doom, stop reading right now. Pretend that the post is over, and go on with your day. You have three seconds....--

The other day, a co-worker forwarded an email titled "Drill Here. Drill Now. Pay Less". I read the petition that she had signed and wanted to grab her by the neck with my kung fu grip and punch her in the face until the words on the screen really made sense.

Drilling for oil in protected areas to decrease our dependence on foreign oil is not solving any problems, but instead is creating a whole host of new ones while ignoring the fact that we will eventually run out of oil and must find an alternative fuel source.

Yes, most people are mad about gas prices, and I was one of them. Then I realized that my commute became so much less stressful when people stopped driving as much. Drivers were less aggressive and more likely to go the posted speed limit, which helped me become more calm behind the wheel.

Of course I wish that gas was more affordable right now, but completely tapping the earth to save a few buck doesn't seem right.

Rather than responding will a witty, well thought out reply... I deleted the email.

This is why I am not, and never will be, a Super Hero.

No comments: