Sunday, July 26, 2009

Too much free time

Lately, I've found that I have lots of time to do unproductive things like read magazines, watch tv, and be online. See, these are things that I can do on the couch while the baby is sleeping. I have tried cleaning while she is asleep but, for some reason, the thought of me accomplishing something around the house is very offensive to my 4 week old and she starts crying uncontrollably whenever I try.

Since I enjoy my hearing, I have given up.

In the meantime, I have learned a lot about stocks, bonds, mutual funds, savings accounts, weird headlines around the world, how to get the most for your money when doing remodeling, how to open a door with a credit card, where you can find the best coupons, services that offer a week's worth of food to families for insanely low prices (I plan on using some of these. Their motto, "if you eat, you qualify" well, we eat and we are on a tight budget) and what it takes to get on to The Price is Right.

When I'm not able to learn things online, I watch tv. Or movies. Lately, movies. Redbox is my friend. Usually, I'll stop by Redbox while on one of our "please stop crying and go to sleep" drives at 3am.

Here's a short list of movies I think you should watch:

1. Inkheart. It's pretty good and there's a scene that includes a shirtless male twirling fire.

2. Confessions of a Shopaholic. I might have a little bit of a shopping addiction and I really, really liked seeing someone that was waaaay worse than me. I don't buy designer clothes or anything, I just buy things that are a little less than useful (i.e.: book binding machine/laminator. Great in theory, only works with a specific type of book. I have not tested the laminator. )

3. Gran Turino. LOVE. Seriously... watch this movie. repeatedly. and cry.

4. Yes, Man. It really makes me want to try it.

5. Seasons 2, 3, and 4 of How I Met Your Mother. Okay, it isn't a movie but you should still watch it.

6. Martian Child. I love this movie so much but maybe that's because I was the weird kid.

And here's a list of movies I think you should skip... also titled "Give me my 2 hours back":

1. Medea Goes to Jail. The play is awesome, the movie is boring.

2. He's Just Not That Into You. Boring and slow and not pretty.

3. Bedtime Stories. It was alright but I wouldn't recommend it.

4. Into the Wild. Slow and sad.

5. Mamma Mia. I want my time, energy, and happiness back.

I am taking care of my child, I just have a lot of hours to fill while she is sleeping. I wish I could sleep myself, but it usually doesn't happen that way. So... if you have any good movie recommendations I'll be happy to give them a spin!

2 comments:

Magic Tiger said...

You should seriously watch Falling Down. It stars Michael Douglas having a really bad day. Netflix has it on instant streaming.

It has one of the absolute best fast food scenes of any movie I've ever seen.

Crystal said...

We went on a Paul Rudd kick recently (husband b/c he's funny, me b/c he's funny and freaking adorable). Forgetting Sarah Marshall is funny, and Role Models is hilarious. At least you spend your spare time accomplishing SOMEthing--I waste mine on the internet and have nothing to show for it afterward!