Thursday, July 23, 2009

be thankful...

There are a lot of perks to being a military wife. Seriously. I know it may sound like a joke, but i'm not kidding!

  • Free Health Care: Yes, that's right, 100% totally free. I'm sick, I go to the doctor, I show my id, get seen and walk out. No paperwork. No bills. Giving birth did not cost me a dime. Not even for my meals. With all of the complications, my baby could have been hundreds of thousands of dollars.
  • Getting to Visit New Places: We probably never would have come to Las Vegas if My Husband hadn't gotten stationed here and I know for a fact that we would not have gone to San Angelo, Tx, if we hadn't been forced to.
  • Lots of Friends: We meet a lot of people and have friends all over the world. We haven't gone all over the world yet, but our friends have been scattered.
  • Learning Fun Acronyms and Abbreviations: The Air Force loooves their acronyms like POTUS, TDY, PCS, GCS, DITY, BX, AFFES, WTS... plus, when talking about My Husbands boss, we have to call him/her "The Shirt"
  • Military Weddings: We have to renew our vows because, at a military wedding, you leave the chapel through an arch of sabres (also spelled saber) Seriously. An arch of swords, people in uniforms, how hot is that?
Even with all of the perks, there are a lot of downsides as well.

For example, my husband is in charge of a very expensive plane. He is required to have X amount of hours sleep before he is allowed to fly said UNMANNED plane. This means that I get baby duty while he is sleeping. Tonight, he went to work at 10pm. I've been on baby duty since noon yesterday. He called me this morning to say that he will not be leaving until at least 9 am. That means he will be home around 10 at the earliest.

That means that when he gets home, even if I go straight to bed, I'll get 3 hours of sleep, max. Why don't I sleep while the baby sleeps? I'm glad you asked! It's impossible. Just about the time I get to sleep, she wakes up and needs something. I fix whatever is wrong and lay back down. By the time I get to sleep, she's awake and crying. Rinse and repeat.

Most nights I can at least get a nap but tonight I got to experience my first infant fever. I thought about taking her to the hospital but realized that 99.5 isn't high enough to worry about and, besides, I can't drive anyway.

The after-hours nurse told me to have my husband bring her in if her fever got above 100. Fortunately, it did not.

Now I'm sitting on the couch, with my fussy little baby, waiting for My Husband to walk through the door. Honestly, I don't think I've ever been this excited about him coming home when nothing special is happening. Well, maybe a few times, but still... it's going to rock.

2 comments:

Crystal said...

That whole "sleep when the baby sleeps" thing is a cruel joke. The only thing worse than getting no sleep at all, is getting to sleep and then having to wake back up again. It's easier to just stay up and wait...in which case the baby will inevitably decide to sleep a little longer, just to spite you. They're cute, but evil.

7daytrial said...

Seriously! When I give up on sleeping, she decides that she wants to take a five hour nap. When I hope to take a nap, she wakes up every 15 minutes and cries just because she has nothing better to do. I swear it's like she's doing it on purpose. At least it's not just mine!