Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Chapter 1: Starting Over

During their lives, most people wish that they could hit the reset button and try again. In golf, it's called a mulligan, on the playground it's a do-over and with pinball, well, it's a power outage.

Right now I have a core group of friends that has been with me for years. Some are newer than others but they are all equally important and loved. These people are my friends even though they have seen my worst moments and know my worst secrets.

I am one of the luckiest people in the world because I count my mom as one of my best friends. We weren't always very close and we still have our moments where we aren't very nice, but I wouldn't trade our relationship for any thing. Seriously. Not even money. That's love right there.
I want to have that kind of relationship with my daughter. I know that she needs a parent more than a friend, but I hope that we can be best friends even though I'll have to ground her and keep her from walking out the door dressed like that.

This little girl is the most important thing in my life right now and I feel like I've been given the opportunity to hit my reset button. I can start over and be the best person, parent, teacher, friend that I know how to be.

This time I'm going to do things the right way. I'll eat my vegetables, do my homework, and always say I love you before I leave. I'm going to make mistakes and I hope that she will forgive me. I hope that I will forgive myself. It isn't going to be perfect but maybe it will be close enough.

1 comment:

charlotte said...

It is amazing how the responsibility for another life makes you rethink the actions you take. I congratulate your new found maturity. I hope your mom has access to this blog, she'd treasure an opportunity to read your writing. Looking forward to seeing you Sunday night.