Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Screw that, I'm still celebrating

Mother's day is on Sunday, and though I'm not technically a mother yet... I feel like I should be included. My Husband is less than thrilled because he hates giving gifts. He, for some reason, thinks that he is not a very good gift giver and will occasionally throw himself into hysterics trying to pick something out.

For this reason, I had to purchase his mom's Mother's Day gift. And have it shipped. And I had to get my Mom's. Am I going to have to get my own?

For my mom, we all went in and bought her gift. By all of us, I mean my brother, dad, and I. Meaning, I picked it out and had them approve it, then they paid me back. Mom has always put our needs above her own. I can distinctly remember the day I discovered she had been wearing the same underwear for, like, 6 years because she was too busy with work, making sure we had clothes to wear, cleaning the house, making dinner and doing all of those wonderful mom things, to go to the store and new bras and panties. She argued that they went under her clothing so it didn't matter what they looked like.

I don't remember very many times when I was younger that we would go on a shopping trip just for her. She was so busy making sure we had everything that we needed, she really forgot about herself. Looking back, I wish I had realized what she was sacrificing and helped her out more. I could have made things so much easier on her but I was selfish and too self centered to realize that she was giving up so much.

When My Husband was in basic training, mom and I went shopping one day and we were looking through handbags at a discount store. There was a really cute bag that mom liked so she asked me how much it was. I told her that the tag said $170. She immediately turned away and said "Oh no, I wouldn't pay that much if it were Dooney & Bourke!" I let her know that it was a Dooney & Bourke bag and she looked at it again. "Well, that's not bad... but it's still too expensive. I'll look over here instead." and went to the clearance section.

At that time, I wasn't familiar with the designer and didn't really think much of it. When we got in the car, I asked her about the brand and she told me about the big logo trend in the late 70's and how Dooney & Bourke's quality and reputation justified the price, though she would never pay that much for a purse.

Well, a few months ago, we started carrying the Dooney & Bourke brand at my job. I remembered that conversation with my mom and decided that I HAD to get her a bag. The only thing is, she would have killed me. She does not like for me to buy her anything because she thinks I need to save my money for when the baby comes. (Yeah, but, presents!)

Mother's day was the perfect excuse, so we all pitched in and got her a moderately priced D&B handbag. Since it arrived on Monday, I told her that she had to go ahead and open it. The first words out of her mouth were "You guys can't afford that! I can't believe you woud spend so much money, it's too much. You shouldn't have done that."

Yes, we should have. We shoud have done it years ago.

1 comment:

Jon said...

Happy Mother's Day, darlin'! Mommies-to-be totally count.